As the season gets started, it is important that the entire team is on the same page when it comes to communication. As a coach, the best way to make sure the parents and player’s questions have been addressed is to simply update the Announcement board through the Coach’s page. At any point in the season, communication is the most important part to make sure parents stay informed as well as players. Here are some tips to ensure coach-parent-player communication:
- One of the biggest influences for a child in sports is their parents. In order for a child to have a good experience, that requires the parents to be encouraging their youth player and supporting them if they have any questions or concerns to address it with the coach.
- For coaches, it is very easy to simply add comments to the announcement board, but good coaches always dig deeper. Learn about your player’s background, their goals and passions. This will allow you to have a better understanding of your players and parents.
- If there is a conflict with a player or players, coaches need to make sure parents are notified immediately and it is dealt with carefully. This can be done quickly and easily through the messaging system to players. Or directly with the parent and player. Often it is better to talk face to face when possible as not everyone can read emotions via a message when there is conflict.
- Parents should encourage their player, if the player has a concern, to address it with the coach directly. This method of player to coach communication is a positive thing for a player to learn.
- When using the messaging system, players and coaches are also able to message each other. Utilizing the messaging system and Announcements Board allows coaches and players to communicate in a positive manner as well as a convenient and consistent outlet.
Gunnar Kolrud is a soccer coach, former player at the University of Minnesota and Marketing Specialist at www.motisports.com